Monday, September 18, 2017

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS_H. G. Wells

The War of the WorldsThe War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: THE WAR OF THE WORLDS by H.G. Wells

This is an amazingly enjoyable novel. Although at times I wanted to shake our reckless protagonist, or at least redirect him {much as one wants to redirect the path of horror film characters away from the cellar, or the forest}, I still reveled in his high intellect and philosophizing. Even his mostly unexpressed contempt for the rest of humanity resonated. Then, too, the action! I have long read of the effect Orson Welles' radio broadcast caused: Martians invading New Jersey!! Author H. G. Wells made his fictional invasion horrifying too: the implacability!! I read this novel specifically before reading Stephen Baxter' s excellent sequel, THE MASSACRE OF MANKIND, but reading THE WAR OF THE WORLDS was valuable in itself.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment