Saturday, October 20, 2018

Review: FREEZING POINT (AFTER THE SHIFT BOOK 1)

Freezing Point (After the Shift Book 1)Freezing Point by Grace Hamilton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review of FREEZING POINT by Grace Hamilton
(After the Shift Book 1)

I've read post-apocalyptic books about nuclear winter, EMP's, pandemics, dystopias, global warming. I think this is the first time I've read one with this particular premise:
an inexplicable shift of the North Pole, plus volcanic eruptions and earthquakes, has caused seemingly unending winter througout the Eastern U.S., Africa, and the UK.
Seems like a nice change of pace from melting Antarctica and terrible hurricanes and unbearably hot summers, doesn't it?
I suppose not if you're living it inescapably, as our characters do, residing in Upstate New York State and trying to figure out how to move west, to Detroit, where it might be warmer, possibly, and supposedly, the municipality has planned for survival and improvement.

This is also the first novel I've read by Grace Hamilton, who is a prolific author of the Apocalyptic and Post-Apocalyptic Genres. She writes well, and includes a lot of descriptive settings presented in very imaginative ways. Her characters are also rather deeply delineated, so it doesn't take long for a reader to decide with whom our empathy lies and whom to cheer on. I'm off to read the second in the series now, KILLING FROST.

Winter rules!
(in this series, literally!)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment