Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Review: THE KRAKEN PROJECT by Douglas Preston


5 Stars

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's AGENT PENDERGAST series intrigued me from the beginning,  but these two authors are individually prolific and accomplished as well.  I found THE KRAKEN PROJECT  (published 2014) totally engrossing.  Even the necessary emphasis on coding, programming, engineering,  hacking (none of which I usually understand LOL) didn't faze me here. Author Preston provides laypersons as foils who also don't comprehend, so that explanations are provided.  From the first, I was riveted: Space Exploration! Artificial Intelligence! What's not to love? 

I also must point out the delightfully intriguing secondary protagonist,  programmer Melissa. Although not specified, I believe she resides on the Asperger's Syndrome; a genius,  but difficult for others to comprehend and too often, potentially self-destructive (risk-taking and impulsive). I've not read any other of the Wyman Ford Series,  but looking back, I think his character could have been more fully fleshed out. That may be simply my perception. 

No comments:

Post a Comment