Thursday, January 26, 2023

Review: ANTARCTICA by Kim Stanley Robinson

First of all, Kim Stanley Robinson is a STORYTELLER, in the classic sense of the word. Remember, for example, Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES, and think also of Classic Greek plays.

Second, he has a deep and wide-ranging background in the Sciences, and a deep understanding of Science and how it frames politics, culture, sociology and Society. So reading anyone of his books is an education in disparate avenues of Science, and also in the Scientific Mindset. Even for those who aren't into that, each novel is an exquisite Story whose characters are exposed down into their deepest, even unconscious layers.

I absolutely cherish ANTARCTICA: not only is it about my favorite Continent/Lifelong Dream, but the story is enrapturing, and at the end I intensely longed for continuation, for a sequel, so I could continue to follow these characters! I actually stewed for a while trying to decide what to read next ...because the novel I wanted to read I had just finished. That's how powerfully affected I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment