Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Review: VOSTOK STATION by J. D. Huff. TBR PILE CHALLENGE #1 2023

Acquired 09/02/2017. TBR PILE CHALLENGE #1 2023

I chose VOSTOK STATION because it promised to slot into one of my favorite Horror subgenres, Frozen Horror, and because I cannot resist anything set in Antarctica [or in the Arctic]. As it turned out, the Freeze is non-stop, the Horror is present and constant. But in contrast to John W. Campbell's classic Science Fiction novella "Who Goes There?" (filmed by John Campbell as THE THING), the Horror in VOSTOK STATION is primarily Biological [although the author delivers very human, living, monstrosities, towards the end, providing terrifying spine-chilling moments...because sometimes, Humanity is the most terrifying of all experiences].

Biology gone radically wrong (because of course scientists must always persevere to the end) and in this case, governmental intervention, inevitably leads to unstoppable destruction. I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had read it prior to the 2019-20 onset of Coronavirus, because by January 2023 inescapable Plague and governmental machinations just seem...all too real.

I granted VOSTOK STATION 4 Stars for plotting, wonderful setting, and character (although by the conclusion Professor Feckless Hero's antics and humour were wearing thin). If I could, I would deduct .5 Star for lack of sufficient proofreading [including using nouns for verbs), so ideally this would be 3.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment