Wednesday, December 27, 2017

2018 Sci-fi Experience

SEE HERE In January I'll participate in the Vintage Science Fiction reading, and I plan to read much John W. Campbell. Excited!

Throughout 2018 I plan to read a lot of Robert E. Howard, especially his Weird Fiction, and I will try to also read Dune. If time permits, I'll also be looking at Clark Ashton Smith and Edgar Rice Burroughs. (And always, HPL.)

After a dismaying start to the year, I've been reading John W. Campbell's THE BLACK STAR PASSES, and I've also read (on January 5) Campbell's "The Last Evolution" and "The Ultimate Weapon." Surprisingly, "The Last Evolution" fits in the AI square for the SFF vs. Fantasy Challenge, and the day after reading it I realized the resonances to this story with the later story "A Meeting With Medusa" by Arthur C. Clarke, another master of the genre. Now I think I'll balance Mr.Campbell's masculine viewpoint [predominantly displayed in the 1953 introduction to THE BLACK STAR PASSES] with Andre Norton or C. J. Cherryh.

No comments:

Post a Comment